Pages

Saturday 13 November 2010

MINI FILM REVIEW: The Social Network

Stressful. That is how I will describe The Social Network. Why? How could a movie be stressful? Because I spent majority of the film with the thought flying through my head, 'What idea could I think of?' and 'How clever is it that they came up with Facebook.'

Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as a very complex character. He seems like a bit of a social desperado at the beginning. His attitude in the film is quite dismissive at times but I like it - why shouldn't he have been like that just because he is young? At the end, however, he really made me angry in regards to how he treated his business partner, won't spoil it for anyone.

It is a perfect Generation Y film, there is so much talked about in the film that is relevant to our generation such as Napster, Myspace and most importantly, Facebook. (I jokingly told my mum I had to test her knowledge before she watched it and asked her if she knew what 'Napster' was, she didn't know...)

Justin Timberlake is actually a very good actor and his character Sean Parker, angered and annoyed me too.

The well written film makes them out to a real basket case in the start who somehow managed to turn Facebook into a billion dollar empire. It reminds me of the start of E.M Forster's novel, Howard's End that says 'only connect' and yes, that is all we really want to do in life.

Here is the trailer:



And here are some quotes from the film:

Sean Parker: One suggestion: Get rid of the "the". Just *Facebook*. Flows better.

Mark Zuckerberg: As for the charges, I believe I deserve some recognition from this board.
Ad Board Chairwoman: I'm sorry?
Mark Zuckerberg: Yes.
Ad Board Chairwoman: I don't understand...
Mark Zuckerberg: Which part?

Marylin Delpy: The site got 2200 hits within 2 hours?
Mark Zuckerberg: Thousand.
Marylin Delpy: I'm sorry?
Mark Zuckerberg: Twenty-two *thousand*.

Marilyn Delpy (Rashida Jones): "What are you doing?"
Mark Zuckerberg: "Checking in to see how it's going in Bosnia."
Marilyn Delpy: "Bosnia? They don't have roads, but they have Facebook."

Marilyn Delpy: "You really hate the Winklevoss twins, don't you? "
Mark Zuckerberg: "I don't hate anybody. The Winklevi aren't suing me for intellectual property theft. They're suing me because for the first time in their lives, the world didn't work the way it was supposed to for them."

Lawyer: "Mr. Zuckerberg, do I have your full attention?"
Mark Zuckerberg: "No."
Lawyer: "Do you think I deserve it?"
Mark Zuckerberg: "What?"
Lawyer: "Do you think I deserve your full attention?"
Mark: "I had to swear an oath before we began this deposition, and I don't want to perjure myself, so I have a legal obligation to say no."
Lawyer: "Okay...no. You don't think I deserve your attention."
Mark Zuckerberg: "I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try, but there's no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention - you have the minimum amount. The rest of my attention is back at the offices of Facebook, where my colleagues and I are doing things that no one in this room, including and especially your clients, are intellectually or creatively capable of doing. Did I adequately answer your condescending question?

1 comment:

  1. Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who has since spent time trying to think up a great idea that could make millions

    Great post :) I always love a movie review.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think - I love it & I'm excited by it! And will try to comment on your blog too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails